Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Smile.

Such a simple thing, a smile. One of the easiest things to do really. We smile at random strangers that we pass. We smile as we sit and have a memory replay in our thoughts. We smile when we read something silly or hear something funny.

But how often in our days to we withhold a smile from our child. Oh man, I have been really convicted of this as of late. Not to say that I have been grumpy, unhappy, or even cold toward my children, just haven't been smiling at every opportunity.

How do I know? I caught myself in the bathroom mirror as I was helping my children brush their teeth. There I was, grim faced. Why? No reason. But what does this project to my child? No joy in the simple, everyday, one on one, common interactions that I have with them.

Then the thought ran through my head of how my children will remember me. Grim faced or smiling? I desperately want it to be smiling. Now, don't get me wrong, there are times to be serious or even grim faced with my children like when disobedience is involved or when a serious issue has come up. But for the everyday "Mommy can I..." moments, I am going to try to remember to not only make eye contact but also smile with the answer.

We have only moments with our children, really, and those moments need to be made important. Smile!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're right. I'm glad you posted this.....I'm going to make a concerted effort to smile at my children during the most mundane of activities!

a