Friday, July 24, 2009

Thrift Stores-What do you think?

I recently had the opportunity to spend a couple wonderful days with my friend and her family who live almost 6 hours from me.
First...let me tell you about this wonderful friendship. We met when our oldest children were 4 months and 8 months old. We became instant buds/comrades/soul mate friends. While we lived in the same town, we spent almost every available moment together. We talked on the phone for two hours in the morning while our babies napped. Then we met and spent the rest of the morning together. Then, when our babies were two years old, she had to move away for her husband's job.
Sadly, she has lived far, far, far away from me for almost 5 years. However, we still talk almost everyday and when we do see each other once a year or so, it is as if we have always been together. Soul mate friends. Do you have one? It is a real treasure indeed.

Anyway....to thrift or not to thrift. My friend has a thrift store in her area, individually owned and operated for profit (not Goodwill or the Salvation Army). It is an awesome place and we were there for two hours. I got two pair of brand new Gap pants for a total of $5. A Ralph Lauren bag for $2.98. We are talking awesome!

But here is my question. (Finally I know...) I have always felt like going to Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift stores in my area is the wrong thing to do. I feel like the things donated should be available to those who need help. What do you think? Am I wrong? Should I go to these stores to find great bargains and steals?

To qualify this post-I need help with alot of things. Money is stretched tight on a teachers salary. But God is gracious and we still have way to many luxuries. And, I am not saying in any way that I am opposed to shopping in thrift stores, I just am not sure if I should go or not since there are those who need help more than my family.

I would love to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I shop at thrift stores like Goodwill a lot. This store is set up for donations so that they can sell the donated items in order to allow special needs individuals to work. It's not as much a store for poor people to shop (I don't really know how else to put that) as it is a store designed to support employment for special needs people.

Shopping there not only helps out your budget, but it also helps keep someone in a job that might otherwise not have a job at all.

Heather said...

We have a thrift store in town that operates as a non-profit and donates much of its store profits to the local places that service mentally and physically handicap kids and adults in my area. I have a sister with Spina Bifida, so I'm quite partial to this thrift store. If I have something to sell and don't want to have a yard sale, they get my stuff. If I have enough leftover goodies from a yard sale for them to sell and make a good profit on, they get it. They're awesome. The people that operate the store are strictly volunteers and they even let a few of the special needs kids come in and help in the store. It's not uncommon to see them putting clothes on hangers or greeting you when you walk in.

I used to frequent thrift stores a lot. I really don't anymore. Lately my reason has been lack of money (unemployment pay for the last six months has gotten the better of us) but I also don't have a lot of time anymore. I would love to frequent thrift stores more -- you never know what you'll find!

Don't feel bad for shopping at thrift stores. Your money is helping someone, somewhere.

Emily and Patrick said...

Hey Lori!

Thanks for posting on my blog. I'm afraid it is a sad disappointment since I never remember to update it! I'm glad I have found yours. Looks like great tips/info on adventures in saving. We are trying to do that too as we think about starting a family one of these days. Tell Wes hello!

a