Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Saving on Medical Bills
It is possible to save money on health insurance bills, even after your insurance has processed claim and the remaining amount is your co-insurance and/or deductible. Most facilities would rather have an account settled in full rather than have small increments coming in every month.
There are several steps included and the first is the most important.
1. Be prepared to pay your bill in full. Use tax return money, use savings account money. Use extra money that you have left over at the end of each month. There are situations where the amount owed is too great. Set up a payment arrangement and pay until it becomes an amount that can be paid in full.
2. Be reasonable in your request for a discount. If you owe $200 for example, don't expect the amount to be reduced to $50, this just doesn't make sense. Also, remember that, in most cases, the insurance has already reduced the submitted charges by 1/4 - 1/2 due to insurance allowables.
3. Call the office and speak to someone directly.
4. Ask the person if there is a discount available if you will pay the balance IN FULL over the phone. It is amazing that most facilities offer a discount if you are willing to pay in full!
5. Wait.
6. If their offer is generous (this will vary) accept it and be extremely grateful! It is seems a little low, negotiate. Don't be afraid to ask for a little (and I mean little) bit more.
7. Pay immediately.
Two real examples of this:
We owed $215 after my daughter had surgery. I called with the hope of $50 being removed. I asked, I waited. I was offered 25% off the total which came to $43 off! I just saved our family $43 by asking!
In a separate instance, we owed just over $376.50 for an emergency room visit. I contacted the facility and negotiated $76.50 off our total. The representative I was speaking to offered an amount, I counter offered, he spoke to his supervisor, and came back and agreed! A immediate savings of $76.50!
In the end, any amount given off of the total is a blessing! Be thankful!
I'm linking this to
being hosted this week by Rocks In My Dryer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






.jpg)






2 comments:
I never thought of doing this. I just pay what we owe, since we used the services.
However, medical bills can add up fast if you have lots of them.
I heard this from another friend, but so glad I did as we are expecting our second child in Sept. It will be so nice to be able to pay off the hospital bill in full especially if we can negotiate a lower payment! Thanks
Post a Comment