Monday, June 16, 2008

A re-posting of a previous blog entry










My Granny, Marjorie Snodgrass, passed away on August 7, 2007, just about a month shy of turning 89. She was a brave, strong, and courageous woman who just would not stand for any non-sense. She lived and loved life but also loved the Lord. God was very merciful in that she became ill and passed away in two short days. She had lived by herself for almost 20 years in the farm house where she was born and lived until she passed away.

My granny loved us, loved us all, but it was very hard for her to say those words. Our response to telling her that we loved her was simply “Well….” It is one of those quirky things that made her so special.

On the night before she passed away, she was alert and quirky-fussing at the hospital staff because they would not let her have peanut butter crackers. (She at this point, did not have functioning kidneys, had ruptured diverticulitis, a heart that was slowing, slowing, slowing, and infection spreading far and wide. For all of these reasons and more, she was on a liquid diet). Only two people at a time were allowed in her room and she had us all in stitches in the waiting room with her antics. My poor Aunt Linda bore the brunt of Granny’s fussing but Aunt Linda took it all in stride. I kinda felt sorry for the other family in the CCU waiting room but the laughter really was a blessing from God.

The first time I went into Granny’s room, I told her that I loved her and she simply told me that there was no need to go get all mushy on her. That was the perfect response from her. But then, before I left her side for the last time, I made sure to be the only one in the room. I leaned over her face and got as close as I dared. I looked into her beautiful blue eyes, which she opened wide and looked back at me as hard as I was looking at her. I told her that I loved her, that I had ALWAYS loved her. Not blinking or looking away, she said “I love you too.” This is the best gift that she could have ever given to me.

This was the last time that I saw my granny. I couldn’t stand to see her the next morning when we arrived at the hospital and was told that she was much, much worse. However, after she passed, I did go in the room with the rest of the family. It is amazing how life ends. How the breath no longer comes even though it had been there just moments ago. It is amazing that God decides to make all of those involuntary things that happen in our bodies every second to just cease. My granny died very peacefully and for that I am very thankful.



Reason for reposting:
One of my favorite memories of being at my Granny's house was the fact that she always had icecream for us to eat. If you go to "After a Cup of Coffee Or Two" you can enter one of your favorite posts to win free icecream!

5 comments:

Christy said...

That is a great post! She looks like she was a wonderful woman to be around.

Unknown said...

I have tears now. This is so sweet. And lovely pics.

Laura Paxton said...

What beautiful memories of a beautiful lady! Thanks for sharing...

Crafty Mama said...

Aw, now I'm teary! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...she sounds like an amazing lady. How blessed you are to have had her in your life! I love it!

a