Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A mommy minute

For just a minute I long not to be a stay at home mom.

Not to be the one who’s shirttail becomes a make shift tissue.
Not to be the one who is responsible to make sure that breakfast does not consist of tootsie rolls and lollipops.
Not to be the one to have to tell a child “no” for the thousandth time in under an hour.
Not to be the one who has to remake coffee for the tenth time just to try to get a sip of it while it is even luke warm.
Not to be the constant playmate.
Not to be the one to convince a child that one bite won’t kill them.
Not be to the one to ask the oldest child not to talk like a baby but to use the beautiful voice that God gave them.
Not to be the one to have to clean up, not only the diaper but the entire baby when that tell-tale brown slime starts oozing onto the onesie.
Not to be the one to not get to have a nice long shower unless Daddy is home or it is 5:30 a.m.
Not to be the one who has to watch a temper tantrum.
Not to be the one who cleans up vomit.
Not to be the one who…

I could go on and on. But then, at the end of my day when I put my babies to bed, I find myself loaded with guilt. Not everyday, just some. Some when the day has just seemed really long and my own sin has been so heavy on my back that it oozes and squeezes all of the prettiness right out of me. Some when I have just been too busy with my own desires to truly take time to enjoy my children. Some when I have just not wanted to be a stay at home mommy that day.

Would I change my “job”? My mission field? Not for the world! This is where God wants me and this is where I want to be. I need to remind myself that I am not doing these things for my glory/happiness/contentment/convenience but for God’s. He is the one who so willingly puts up with all of my shortcomings. He is the one who, by His wondrous grace overlooks all of my ugly, oozing with slime and decay, stinky brown goo to love me. He is the one who marks my steps and my days. It is for His glory that I am raising my children. For them to know Him and love Him.

I love my children, thank God everyday for them. They bring me so much joy. To see their little eyes light up when they see genuine joy and laughter come from me. To see the enjoyment that they get from me just sitting and playing with them for a moment. To know that the love that they have for me is a true and honest love.

I thank God for His love for me. He brings me so much joy. My eyes light up at the thought of His genuine joy over me. From the peace that I get from sitting with Him. To know that the love that He has for me is a true and honest love.

2 comments:

Richelle said...

I can relate! Sometimes it is so hard, but I wouldn't change being a mom and staying home for the world!

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

You have been reading my mind. You know what is in my heart...the frustration, the guilt, the love. Thank you for this post that just 'gets' what mommys do...

a