Monday, September 29, 2008

Whala!

Ok, I blog that I look at, but don't usually comment on is "Where the Kudzu Grows". She made a wedding cake over the weekend and could use some love! I know first hand what a fun but challenging thing making a wedding cake can be!

Head on over and give the love that is deserved!

Oh, I thought I would post a picture of my last cake in case "Where the Kudzu Grows" should hop over here to check out my post...

3 comments:

Lady Why said...

Lori!! That cake is spectacular!!! I needed you to guide me with your wise and knowledgeable cake baking techniques this weekend!

So, now the scoop... how long have you been baking cakes? What recipes did you use? Did you do a special filling? How did you get your hangie downie ropes so perfectly spaced and smooth? What icing is that? And, any other pertinent details you would like to share.

WOW! Girl, what can I say but WOW!!

Lori said...

I have only made four wedding cakes and they have all been for the same family (3 were sisters in the same family)

Anyway, I use betty crocker cake mixes and I have never frozen one. I have never filled one with anything. It is buttercream icing-but a different one than some people use:

1 small can criso
5-10 tbsp of water
Several good shakes of vanilla
1 large bag of powdered sugar

My hangie downie things were draped. I marked the spots where they needed to start and stop and then put the icing tip on the beginning spot, squeezed the bag and let the icing naturally drop with gravity (while holding it gently away from the cake). Once enough was dropped, it connected it to the stop point. I did the ones that hang down the furthest first. Does that make sense?

Lady Why said...

Hi Lori,

My rope things always broke when I tried to do it that way. I think it must take a special touch that requires YEARS of practice. Maybe by the time my grandchildren are getting married! :-)

a