Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rites of Passage

The winner....












Congrats to:
He's Married To The Railroad; I'm Just His Mistress

We all have had them...some defining thing that moves us from being a child in our household to being considered an adult. Now I'm not talking about getting your drivers permit or being old enough to drink or vote. I am talking about those silly little quirky, only in my family, things that help define who we are and where we are in our family "pack".

You know...like getting to sit at the "adult" table during Thanksgiving dinner. I was reminded of a few of my rites of passage that I wanted to share with you.

1. Not having to wash dishes where ever we ate. Finally, at that special age, I just became another adult who could mingle, chit and chat with the other adults in the room while the dishes were scrubbed and put away.

2. Not having to only eat the dreaded chicken leg. This one might seem a little silly but until that certain moment, children were only allowed to eat those legs when fried chicken was served. No tender white morsels for the kiddos...nope. I won't touch a leg these days unless I am being socially polite because it is the only thing served.

3. Not having to have your biscuit crumbled. I grew up eating sausage gravy every morning (my hips can attest to it) and until that magical age, your biscuit had to be torn into shreds before gravy could be slathered all over it. Why? A chocking hazard maybe? Over the weekend at my friend's house, her hubby made the most divine sausage gravy. My sweet hubby so kindly made my plate first and my ears slightly burned (a physical thingy that happens when I am frustrated) when I saw that it was shredded in bits.

Now, I love him and he didn't grow up with this rite of passage. He is thinking that if it is already crumbled it will be easier to eat. Well, it was so yummy that I scarfed it down and made another with the biscuit only opened.

Ahhh...to be an adult who can take their time to cut the biscuit with a fork.

Ok, please forgive me for I am rambling. But my dear friend if you have made it this far, I will reward you with the chance to win a $5 Amazon electronic giftcard. Entries will be accepted through Sunday 9 p.m. eastern. I will choose the winner at random and email you the info.

All you have to do is leave me a comment. Anything will suffice but only kindness please.

Now excuse me please as I go off to find a chicken breast, open faced sausage biscuit, and some kiddos to do the dishes!

10 comments:

CaseyDeuce said...

Reading this post made me hungry!! LOL

Even though you hit all those rites of passage, arent there just some days that you want to turn in your "mommy-card" and quit being a grown up!??

Lori said...

Yes, especially days when I am sick.

Gretchen said...

That's pretty funny, Lori! Especially since I'm not familiar with any of those rites of passage (except the dishes one). Chicken legs are my favorite...not that I have fried chicken often, being from the north and all. :) And I never even saw sausage gravy over whole biscuits until I moved here! I only had it at home and we always tore up the biscuits or toast.
Enjoy being a grown-up today.

Mom24 said...

Maybe that's why my hubby won't touch chicken legs? Great post.

Anne said...

Funny that one of my rites of passage was helping to clean up after a dinner gathering (holiday or just a social call). My mom is very particular when it comes to clearing the table and stacking the dishes in the dishwasher. When she requested my assistance I knew I was finally an adult in her eyes.

Heather said...

I can't say that I have any rites of passage. My mom was always a do-it-all-myself type of person and she still is. Even when we're visiting, she won't let me help her in the kitchen. She says the kitchen is "her place" and that everyone else needs to stay out.

This was a good post, though. I enjoyed it!

amber said...

Sounds awesome! Thanks!

Amber
tosaveapenny@yahoo.com

Jackie said...

I enjoyed reading this post and laughed when I got to the part about the chicken leg! It is true that the youngest always gets the leg. I sometimes feel bad when my daughter is eating the leg and I am enjoy the juicy white meat breast...but I do believe she really enjoys it. Maybe she's just not ready for the "rite of passage" yet. After all, who would do the dishes?

Richelle said...

Those are great. The dishes one was a big one for me. It seemed me and my cousins my age had to do them forever!

Angie said...

You made me laugh!

a