Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A coupon shocker

Ok, lets be honest. Have you ever been in the store and found a peelie coupon on a product that you are going to buy but only not on the particular flavor/size of that product that you want?

I confess. I have to be honest. There have been peelies on the Comfort diapers at Kroger that I like to use for my son at nighttime. However, the peelies are always on the small size diapers. I have taken the peelies off of one size before to use on a larger size. Is this wrong? I don't know. Sometimes I feel guilty-and this in itself should be my clue, right? However, I have not harmed the package in any way. In fact, you would not even know that the sticker had been there.

Yesterday, at Kroger, I had to purchase some icing. I like the Betty Crocker icing. It was on sale and I was happy to have my coupons with me! However, there were some flavors of icing that had a coupon to "use now!" incorporated in the label.

INCORPORATED IN THE LABEL. This means that to use the coupon, you had to destroy the label, which would be fine if you were buying this flavor and were going to throw away (or recycle) the container at home.

Well, to my utmost surprise, some one had totally destroyed the labels of that flavor to grab the coupons to use for a flavor that didn't have a coupon incorporated in the label. The poor container and label were left discarded on the shelf. Now this, I think, is completely wrong. Not only was the lable destroyed but now who will buy it?

So, would you destroy a label to save some pennies? Have you ever grabbed a peelie off of a product to use (without destroying the package)?

3 comments:

Heather said...

I have peeled a peelie coupon off a product to use on another product in the same family (a different flavor of frosting, a different scent of air freshener, etc.). However, I wouldn't totally destroy a products packaging to get a coupon. To me, whoever did that should be punished. I'm not sure how (maybe make them "pay" the store back somehow for the lost revenue because they can't sell the items now?) but that's really not acceptable. I'm sure the person who did it doesn't feel bad. I'd almost be willing to bet that the coupons are on eBay right now being sold for a profit.

Gah, I'm sorry for going off a bit, but this is something that annoys me to no end.

Michelle said...

I have been known to buy things with peelies on them and not use them! How is that for a big fat DUH!

Kim said...

I would not destroy a label to get a coupon but would definitely peel a peelie off. By the way I am the woman that uses Shortcuts and a manuf. paper coupon on the same item.

hee hee

a