Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A thrify way to save money: Bartering

January seems to be a month in which alot of people are trying to save alot of money on groceries and I have decided to join the bandwagon.  Money Saving Mom has a challenge to only eat from the pantry that has really been inspiring.   In all of my thriftiness,  I have stockpiled many things.  Shampoo, soap, Hormel Chili with Beans, ketchup, canned tomatoes, sauce, and paste, and granola bars.  I also have more razors than any self-respecting woman should have!  But, I am set with these things.  Whew.

However, I am in desperate need of chicken.  It is a staple in our house and I had just used up my stockpile last week and have been waiting for a great sale. 

A friend of mine has taken a challenge to not spend any money this month on ANY household item other than a few perishable items each week.  Having not preplanned this adventure, she found herself out of a few key items on the second day of the month.  Shampoo and coffee flavoring.  Fire alarms go off in my head at the sheer thought of this!  My friend, in her thriftiness and desire to hold fast to her challenge went online and has discovered how to make her own flavoring and shampoo!

We were chatting yesterday and I mentioned my desire of chicken.  It turns out that her freezer is stocked with all kinds of meat and so this item is not a need for her this month.   And she suggested a barter.  I have tons of shampoo, she has tons of chicken.  So-we trade.  What a concept!  Let me scream it:  WHAT A CONCEPT!

She has something that she can spare without sacrificing what she needs for her family.  I have something that I can certainly spare without sacrificing my family needs.   So, we help each other out...did you hear that?  We share in our blessed abundance.  We share!

Maybe you have a church family that you could barter with once a month.  Bring in your abundance of canned goods (either homemade or store bought) and ask another family or group of families to do the same.  You never know who has a ton or Hormel Chili with Beans that they would love to off load for some of your stockpile of Ketchup or canned peaches.

Now, I am not talking about taking away from your families needs or what you would need to get through several weeks.  But come on...what am I going to to do with my six bottles of ketchup and fifteen cans of chili in the next two months besides look at them.  And we all know that sales come around and we will (if we continue to be blessed) stock up on all of these things all over again.

Now...who needs some chili because I could really use some chicken noodle soup!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a fantastic idea. I wish I had someone who wanted a boat load of Kraft dressings! I have marinated in every flavor imaginable!!!

Lori said...

Do you need Hormel Chili with Beans?

Donna said...

Great reminder about bartering. I'll have to keep that in mind when we need something. I have a few other really frugal friends who I'm sure would love to barter once in a while.

a