Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cell Phones and Water don't mix

Last night I thoughtfully pushed a load of laundry into wash at 11:30 p.m. We are going away this weekend and at the rate my clothes have been piling up, the thought of buying all new clothes was becoming very appealing. Not very frugal though.

So, washer started, clothes gathered and placed on top of dryer (not upstairs tonight...no place to put them...) I headed back up stairs to get in bed. My sweet hubby was looking around the house for our cell phones so that we could go to bed. We use the alarm features on our phones instead of conventional alarm clocks.

Then he said those words that caused a hot flash of panic coursing through my body:
"I think my phone is in my jeans that I just threw downstairs".

I had just picked up those same jeans and crammed them into our washer and pushed start. I prayed as hard as I could that his phone was somewhere safe. Somewhere-anywhere except in the swishing water. I quickly pulled everything out of the washer and examined the pockets.

There it was. Pitiful.

I have ruined so many things of mine by not checking pockets. My son is also infamous for sticking rare and wonderful objects in his little size 3t pockets that do not agree with water. But my dear husband is always so practical. He knows I forget to check so he always empties his pockets. Except this time.

So, now we need a new phone. We didn't purchase the protection plan for our phone so we are buying it full on new. Does anyone know how to get a good phone at a good price?

5 comments:

Heather said...

Ugh, I hate it when you wash things that aren't meant to be washed. I can't tell you how many times my husband's wallet or my son's prized something-or-other have went through the washer.

We just use TracFones, so I really don't have any advice for you on getting a good, cheap phone. Sorry!

Mom24 said...

Call the provider and beg, sometimes it works. Also, if you don't try to turn it on and blow dry the insides and the battery on low sometimes that works. Probably too late for that though.

I jumped into a pool with mine in my pocket one time because my daughter was having trouble swimming, I feel your pain. :-)

It's always something.

Sarah said...

eBay. There are a lot of phones there, cheaper than getting them from your provider.

But can I tell you, I put mine through the washer TWICE and it survived. I pulled it all apart and left the pieces on my counter to dry for a few days and it was okay!

Gretchen said...

We put it out on facebook that we were looking for a new phone after I accidentally washed Charlie's a few months ago, and had a number of offers for people's old phones. If you don't need a new one, you could try that. My sister's husband sent us his old one and it was only about a year old.

Sherri said...

I second ebay and asking others for old phones. We have a few including a blackberry or two. They are older and not in color but they still work. What do you need/want?

a