Monday, January 11, 2010

A thrifty way to save money - negotiate



Have you ever thought about negotiating medical bills?  I had an emergency room visit in October and although my insurance paid most of the balance, I was still stuck with a hefty little (ok, not so little) sum.

I contacted the medical facility to see if my balance could be adjusted if I paid in full today.  It was kinda like buying a house, I asked, the representative offered, I counter offered, I was put on hold, and then the representative came back with good news!

I negotiated $76.50 off my balance due!

So, if you have a medical balance due-negotiate.  Most places would rather clear an account than have small increments coming in over several months.  When asking, make an offer that is reasonable.  I owed $376.50.  I didn't ask for half to be removed but a reasonable amount.

Remember that most insurances already take 1/3 to 1/2 off the submitted charges because of your individual plan's allowable amounts.  You are asking for help and in the end if a smaller amount than asked is all the facility can do, be thankful and take it!

Saved today:  $76.50!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's great!! Congrats.

a