Monday, April 28, 2008

Have you ever complained...

Today I am pondering over a decision that I made yesterday regarding complaining about an employee at a local grocery store.

Here's the scenario: I purchased something that was suppose to be on sale. After looking at my receipt, I noticed that the item did not ring up correctly. I wheeled my full buggy back into the store and asked the person behind the desk if I could go and check the price. This person waved me away with a "sure".

Now, I do not know this person, but after shopping at this same store for a long time, I have come to cringe when I know that they are the person that I would need to get help from.

Back to the story...the sale sign on the aisle for the item had expired but had not been removed. I carefully looked at the price and the sale date and headed back up to the front desk. The person was happily chit-chatting with some other opposite sex employees. Their conversation did not stop. The person came to help me but was still more interested in the "who likes who" conversation.

I tried to explain to this person that the tag had not been removed from the shelf (thinking that I would get the difference since they should have removed the tag but not going to argue if I just needed to get my money back) and all this person said was "yeah, yeah, what do I owe you".
This person didn't want to see the receipt. This person didn't try to apologize or offer to make it any better in any way. But, the conversation of silliness continued even as they were handing me my money back.

Ok. So, I walk out of the store. I walk back in to get the name of the person. Of course, the silliness conversation was still going on so instead I asked a cashier that I recognized. The person behind the counter was not a manager, just someone who is able to work there. A manager was called and I explained the situation.

I walked out feeling good that I had stood up for myself and the lack service received. But then I started having second thoughts. Have you ever complained?

3 comments:

ohhollyf said...

I worked as a cashier, and would have never been allowed to treat you like that, but that was 15 yrs. ago. Nowadays, there's no respect, my theory is that they don't make enough $ to care.
So, my opinion is that you did well.

ohhollyf said...

i cannot even start to explain hoe rudely I was treated this morning at Safeway in Leesburg.
Only the express lane was open, I had a full cart, trying to get back haome before hubby needed to leave for work. She called for another lane to open, so I let a couple ppl go in front, well no cashier came! So I loaded my cart onto belt, she said can you wait? No, I have waited. It went south from there. My hubby said not to shop there, anymore. It's a bummer stores cannot do thier job.
Sorry to rant on ur comment.

ExtraordinaryMommy said...

Yes, I have complained. (I suppose their are people who never do, but....) Don't get me wrong, I'm not a yeller/a screamer/a tantrum type, but I do think customer service is important. How can stores and restuarants continue to thrive if they aren't given the opportunity to improve.

I've given low tips for poor service and I will send my food back if it is entirely wrong or terrible (I'm less likely to say anything if our server is nice...so, a smile and show of service can go a long way)

You did the right thing. The clerk won't be fired for their behavior, but maybe it will remind them to be a bit more courteous! Good for you!

a